Scantrol launches Active Heave Compensation
Scantrol has developed Active Heave Compensation (AHC) that will work with all different hydraulic and electrical winches. The new iSYM Crane Control with AHC has recently been fitted on a 100 ton first class marine crane from Heila.
The Heila crane has been designed to obtain the highest class according to the regulations of the US classification society, American Bureau of Shipping (ABS).
Scantrol AHC has been installed for heave compensation of the main hook on the 100 ton winch on the Heila marine crane.
AHC for all winches
Scantrol AHC will work with all different winches such as ROV, subsea, research and crane winches. The system gives accurate control of the load position on a vessel that moves up and down as a result of waves and will pay in or pay out on the winch to compensate for vessel heave motion to keep the load at a constant distance from the sea bed.
The compensation possible depends on specifications of the winch. Recent test results from the 100 ton Heila winch showed that Scantrol’s AHC was able to compensate for a movement of six meters within a period of 12 seconds for this particular winch.
Less time spent waiting for good weather
The AHC makes it possible to work in harsh sea conditions. It increases the efficiency as less time will be spent waiting for good weather.
AHC is often a requirement from customers renting a vessel as they will not be delayed because of weather conditions.
Tailored to the winch
Scantrol has developed a software, AHC Analyzer, to simulate the AHC response that can be achieved with the winch in question. Data about the winch is plotted into the software giving an estimate of the compensation possible. Scantrol will then be able to provide advice about how to achieve the best possible performance from the Scantrol AHC.
The AHC Analyzer is a valuable tool for customers who at an early stage in the production process want to know how the AHC will perform with the actual winch. Knowing the compensation that can be achieved with different winch capacities will make it easier to make a decision about the necessary capacity and investment. Together with Scantrol the winch can be tailored to take full advantage of Scantrol AHC.
Estimates from the software have been verified by results from tests run with the Heila winch.
- Gives accurate control of load position on a moving vessel
- Accurate real-time information of the crane tip motion is used to pay in or pay out on the winch to compensate for the heave motion and keep the load at a fixed position relative to the seabed
- Enhances capabilities to work in harsh sea conditions
- Decreases the operational time as less time is spent waiting for good weather
- Can be used with all different hydraulic and electrical winches such as ROV, subsea, research and crane winches
- AHC Analyzer – a specially designed software from Scantrol – can predict the compensation possible for a winch at an early stage in the production process